Thursday, March 29, 2012

How do you tell a person who has an ego that he has an ego?

I recently met a Civil engineer. He had a career shift from a BMC worker to a highly successful and good earning Civil Engineer. It is not totally his fault that he has full faith in himself and not so much on God almighty. He believes that he is a self made man. In other words, I am trying to justify his reasons for being egoistic.

On top of it, he is a very very selective listener. If things don't sound correct, he makes it very clear. Not just this, he is also short tempered. If one tries to make him understand the logic, but it is not something he wants to hear... then... I had a very hard time during the analysis. I was surprised when he came for the analysis in the first place, Individuals who are so sure of themselves, rarely come to me. Later I learned that it was his wife who forced him citing some issues with coworkers at work.

Normally, when I analyse, I start with things that are intrinsic to the individual's behavior and is slightly uncommon. I started the analysis with something funny. He smiled. Next analysis was also intrinsic and present in almost all his strokes, He gave me an Ok but seemed to be thinking about it. I told him that if he wants to explain something in detail, I would be happy to. As I keep saying, Graphology is scientific and can't be wrong. Only time it may seem wrong is when I don't word it properly or give a wrong example.

What happens is there is a trait - You have good aesthetic sense. 


Manifestations
  • You can be good at matching colors - not just for clothes but also for curtains, walls etc
  • Your sense of design can be good.
  • The prints (if)that you buy (for curtains, towels, bedsheets, dress for wife, handicrafts) can be very pretty and look terrific at home. Because of your keep sense, you probably match it with your home decor, Others might look at it as a piece alone and not like it. There are several other manifestations of the trait 
So, When I mention the trait in the analysis and it doesn't make sense, I try to give the manifestations. It might not be all true but It surely does help reaching to the point.

With this gentleman, He stopped me with the first manifestation and replied that I was wrong. This went on for next 15 minutes even though all the traits that I was saying were positive and present in all the letters. The only thing he sort of agreed though very reluctantly was to stomach issues. He said - Yes, very little. 
Later, his wife told me that he suffers from constipation often. 

Anyway, I decided to be honest with him in the most gentle way I knew. I told him that the issues he was facing was because of a few reasons. He didn't agree to it completely but at this time, his wife got the courage to tell him that I was right. When I gave him the 4th manifestation and he sort of said ok if not yes, I told him that all the manifestations I have given so far mean that he has an ego. He almost jumped from his seat. No one who has an ego likes to be told or agrees to it. I didn't know what to say much, He obviously disagreed and we ended the session soon after that.

This has been the most exciting and thrilling experience during an analysis for me. I still don't have an answer to this. How do I tell a person who has an ego that he has an ego? He is obviously not going to listen to me. 

Ironic na? It is like a mad man trying to prove he is not mad.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. The ego in them doesnt want to hear from you about their ego. I guess the best you could do in such cases is to not tell directly about the ego, but tell about things/examples to do to make their life better. Thats all you can do depending on how "powerful" their ego is.
    A very interesting read.
    -SB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. There are many people who are like this, if not like this but have things which they cant accept. Introspection is a very tough job thats why people take outside help. I am sure that person will come soon asking for help. (even if his wife forces him to come)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No body in this world can change the nature of a person by applying any kind of. force, even by most logical way of analyzing. The nature of a person can change only by way of self realization. This can happen by, somehow, suggest the person to take a course on self awareness. Understanding of the psychological toll like TA ( Transactional Analysis) could be of help.

    Uday Vaidya
    Resume Management Consultants Pvt Ltd
    www.resumeindia.com

    ReplyDelete