Saturday, September 10, 2011

The listening problem

A skilled graphologist can understand if an individual is open to new ideas or is someone who is adamant and likes to do things on his own.
Sometimes, even a skilled graphologist can go wrong. :)

I recently met a very self made man, someone who had defied all the customs possible and made life on his own. His handwriting pointed out that he was not a very good listener and didn't really accept advice as graciously as one should.

I told him that, and he said I was wrong. This was my 2nd or 3rd point but he said that he listens to everyone. There was no way I was wrong. I tried to give him examples so I could explain my point. He refused. I couldn't really argue with such a senior business man...but this was so wrong. He just didn't budge, he was proving my point and I tried to point it out, but he still didn't agree. He told me to move on.

I carried on with my points and soon he started developing his trust. We came to the main reason for his analysis and I gave him the reasons. I was telling him something about his wife and the point drifted to how businessmen have to act in a way to be accepted by society. He said he understood it and we discussed how people close to us can nag us and constantly give ideas to help us improve. He then came to the listening point again and told me that he too faces the same issue. He had 3 wellwishers who always told him the right way of doing things. Like when one of them told him that the business won't work and his wife would come on the road, he transferred one of his flats on his wife's name and made his wife secure with a fd deposit and made arrangements for his child in next 3 months. When his aunt told him about looking good and dressing well, he bought the best quality clothes and a really pricey car in few days.

I realized one thing, Human beings are the most complex complex beings possible. He did listen to people but only to stop them from talking. He has lost those well wishers now but is happy in his own world. I tried to point this out in a subtle way that he didn't listen to ideas because the idea made sense, but only to prove a point and hence it showed in his handwriting but I don't think he was ready for that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment